Monday 27 April 2009

My first visit to the virtual world

Being it my first time in second life, I really didn't know where to start. I thought that changing my appearance would be the first step - only I made a horrible choice of looks and clothing! Fortunately, in my search for an interesting place to visit, I came across the beautiful lady Eydie MacMoragh. I asked her where she got her cool look from, and she guided me to the place where I can get a new outfit. When I chose one that I thought looked good, she told me that that was the outfit new avatars usually choose, and that I looked common! So I went back and made another change of clothes, and this time I told her that I looked good, common or not.

To choose a place to visit, I went to the maps and searched for anything with the prefix 'edu', or 'ed'. I came across EdTech Island Sandbox and Campus. I was lost at first, but Eydie told me that it is a public area where people can build things. She also told me that there are a lot of educational establishments in second life, like NASA's interactive museum.

I think there are great educational opportunities in second life. Not only can classes be conducted entirely virtually, practical classes can also be done in close resemblance to real life classes. A teacher can show students how to, for instance, create a bird house using objects like a hammer or wood. Schools and universities can create their virtual areas, where distance learners can socialize within areas that look similar to, for instance, campus cafeterias.

No comments:

Post a Comment